Thursday, August 19, 2010

First Appointment

We had our first appointment yesterday!  Even though I knew it was a bit too early for an ultrasound, I did think we would be doing more then we did. First, we met with the nurse and gave her all the important information (i.e., the first day of my last period), weight, blood pressure, urine test and went over the basic medical information.  

Once the doctor came in, it was time for the physical exam.  Scott stayed in the room and, even though he is extremely curious, I made him stand up by my head while the doctor performed the exam.  She said it feels like I'm about 6 weeks, but did not give me an estimated due date.  We were told that the ultrasound technician can measure the baby and tell me exactly how far along I am!

We then met with the doctor in her office and went over the basics...things I should stay away from (i.e. cat litter, lunch meat, etc.), what medications I can take, what types of tests are coming up, our upcoming travel plans, etc.  

O, I almost forgot...I feel like I've been abnormally hungry over the last couple weeks and all but one of my work pants are uncomfortable on me now (not good at 6 weeks!).  The doctor said this is normal...some women lose weight their first trimester because they are so nauseous and other women have an increased appetite.  I have been getting mild nausea pretty much every day, but I almost have the triggers figured out (being overly hungry and being overly full).  The doctor said it could ramp up over the next couple weeks and, if it does, my appetite will likely go down.

I have to go to the lab and get some blood tests done over the next week or so and our first ultrasound is scheduled for next Wednesday, August 25...we can't wait!!  I can't wait to hear my baby's heartbeat and see him/her fluttering around in there.  Once the ultrasound has been completed, we will be scheduling our First Trimester Prenatal Screening.  This isn't a required test, but it will tell us if there is an increased chance of having a baby with down syndrome trisomy 18.  This test has to be done at a very specific time in the pregnancy (a span of 2-3 weeks), so we need to wait until we have our EDD (Estimated Due Date) before we can schedule the test.  We have also scheduled our "nurse's appointment," where we review our medical history and the history of our families, and our next check-up with the doctor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment