Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm pregnant!!

I can't believe it!

Ok...let me back up...

I went off the pill at the end of April, after much discussion about starting to try for kids. We followed the doctor's instructions and used a second form of birth control for a month before we actively started TTC (trying to conceive). After a couple months of actively TTC and our lives getting progressively more busy, we decided to hold off for a little bit.

About a month went by when we discussed it again and decided (last Sunday, August 1) that we would start trying again...that there was never going to be a time in our lives when we wouldn't be busy. It's how we are...we pack our schedules and run ourselves ragged and we thrive on it.

It just so happened that I had one last dollar store pregnancy test left and, for some unknown reason, I decided to take it that night...maybe it was the fact that my skin had started breaking out like never before or the fact that I hadn't started spotting a few days before my period was due like I usually did or maybe it was just me being neurotic (also a usual occurrence).

Anyway, I took the test...and low and behold, there was a VERY faint second line. I called Scott upstairs and asked him to look at it, so that I knew I wasn't crazy and the faint line actually was there. I had never seen that before. All of a sudden, my heart sped up and my mind starting going a mile a minute.


Unfortunately, I decided to take this test at 11:30 on a Sunday night, when I had to be up for work at 5:30 am. Needless to say, we didn't sleep at all! Well, I didn't sleep at all...Scott was able to fall asleep around 3am and I continued to poke him to stop his snoring for the rest of the night.

I made it through the next day at work without sleeping one minute and ran to the first CVS I passed on my drive home, buying two more tests. I took them as soon as I get home and low and behold...


WE'RE PREGNANT!!!

By my calculations, I will be 5 weeks tomorrow and am due April 12, 2011. Of course, that could all change after our first prenatal appointment on August 18. Of course, I will keep you all updated!

I still can't believe it! We're going to have a baby!!

Along with this excitement comes a lot of questions, concerns and fears. I currently live in Connecticut and work in New York as an associate for a firm specializing in the defense of insurance agents and brokers. Heavy litigation...not exactly the kind of place that a pregnant woman thrives...so my mind continues to wander...

How will the partners at my firm react? How will my nearly one hour commute (one-way) feel when I'm 8 months pregnant? What happens if I get a nausea spell in the middle of Court? I know this is all natural, but at the same time it's very daunting.

For right now, we're taking one step at a time. We haven't told anyone about our life-changing news yet. We are waiting until after our appointment next week, at which time we will tell our parents and, subsequently, our extended families and friends.

Even with all the uncertainty, I can't help but be giddy! I can't wait to get a big belly and, eventually, hold my child's hand and teach them all about the world.

1 comment:

  1. I am in tears.. I am so happy for you guys. You are going to be great parents. Enjoy the journey! XO
    Kai is excited for you!

    ReplyDelete