Sunday, August 15, 2010

This is so hard!

As I mentioned in my first post, we have decided to wait until after our first prenatal appointment before telling anyone we are pregnant.  Initially, Scott was adamant that we wait until a full 3 months before telling anyone, but the excitement has won over.  

Unfortunately, this is a very difficult month to keep such exciting news a secret.  Last weekend, we had my youngest sister's high school graduation party.  Yesterday, we saw almost all of my extended family at my cousin's college graduation party.  Next Saturday, we will see a good portion of our closest friends at the annual pig roast and the following weekend, we will see most of Scott's extended family at his cousin's son's first birthday party.  Craziness!

While my entire family pushed me to drink yesterday, Scott was having an increasingly difficult time not telling everyone.  How can you blame him?  We're so excited and we want to share that excitement with the people who mean the most to us!  But in the end, my dad wasn't there yesterday and we still haven't had our first prenatal appointment yet.

We have planned to tell my parents and youngest sister the night before she leaves for college--a week from tomorrow.  Unfortunately, my other sister left to go back to Indiana today and we weren't ready to tell anyone yet, so I will have to come up with an inventive way to tell her over the phone.  

We won't be seeing Scott's parents until Labor Day weekend, when we go out to Ohio to see our new nephew, so telling our extended family and friends will need to wait until after that.  It's getting much more difficult to keep our news a secret.  

Fortunately, we only have 3 more days to wait until our first prenatal appointment.  I think the only reason I am hesitant to tell anyone before then is in the rare event that something goes wrong and we don't find out until our appointment.  I know things can still go wrong even after our first appointment and the chances of miscarriage are highest during the first trimester, but I will feel much more comfortable after the doctor confirms my estimated due date and tells us that, as of right now, everything looks good!

No comments:

Post a Comment