Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Annoyed!

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for today at 8:00 am.  On Monday, knowing the forecast for the week contained the snowpocalypse we just experienced, I called my doctor's office to see if I should reschedule.  I was assured by the nurse who answered the phone that they NEVER close...not even during the storm just after Christmas, and that they would be there no matter what.  So, rescheduling was unnecessary.

Skip to the next day (yesterday) when I receive a call from the doctor's office in the afternoon looking to reschedule my appointment due to the impending storm.  They wanted me to come in at 1:10pm today...no biggie and probably better since the snow would have ended by then.  

Fast forward to today.  At 5:45am this morning we receive the recorded phone call from the Mayor of our city letting us know that they have declared a Level 3 snow emergency and that only emergency and four wheel drive cars are allowed on the road.  At 6:15 am, I received the email stating that my office was closed.  When we finally get out of bed (at 9:00 am...whoops!), there is two feet of snow outside.  So Scott decides he's not going to risk driving into the office today and we'll just both work from home (riiiiight).  

The snow had stopped by the time we got out of bed, so it was really just a matter of clearing his car out to get to my doctor's appointment.  By 10:00 am the city had lifted the driving ban and it seemed like the roads were going to be pretty clear by the time we had to leave (not to mention, Scott's XTerra has four-wheel drive and the doctor's office is only bout 5-10 minutes away from us).  

So, we finally clear all the snow off on and around Scott's car, I get ready and we head to the doctor's office.  We got there about 1:00 pm (remember, appointment is at 1:10 pm).  The doors are locked and it looks as though no one has been in the parking lot all day.  BUT, the sign on the door says the office is opening at 10:00 am today due to the snow.  

So, I immediately call the number for the office and get the answering service recording, which states that the office is at lunch and will return at 1:00pm.  So we wait...no big deal since we had gotten there right at 1:00 pm.  After another 30 minutes and calling the answering service numerous times, I finally got a person on the phone.  At which time I am sarcastically told that the recording is wrong and the office was closed today.

I should also mention that I was not the only person to show up for my appointment today...at least three other cars pulled into the lot, confused as to why the doors were locked.  People who had trudged through the snow to clear off their cars and bring their entire families with them to their doctor's appointments.

I immediately become irate...maybe it was the pregnancy hormones or maybe just my usual unwillingness to accept the stupidity of others.  Either way, I immediately start to think about how I'm going to go about getting an appointment now without it interfering with my work day.  Mind you, I have had to work from home three days this month, so far, due to the weather and have some difficulty taking a lot of time off for doctor's appointments.  

Not to mention, all companies and doctor's offices seem to assume that women in this area don't work....as evidenced by their confusion and/or annoyance when you tell them you can't make the 12:00 pm appointment they have available for you.  Well, we'll see what happens when I call first thing tomorrow morning to inform them how inconsiderate it was that no one took the patient list home with them to contact the people who had appointments scheduled for today and that they WILL find me an appointment in the next few days that is either (1) on a weekend; (2) at 8:00 am; or (3) at 6:00 pm.  

Wish them luck  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment